Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Vegie Vigor?


My pumpkin plant - has only produced 2 female flowers so far ... tiny ones too



We had a few really warm days which I knew would mean rain! So I got in there and planted some seeds. The ground was really dry by this point which meant I had to give the ground a good soak ... I admit I was REALLY naughty and used the hose. But in my defence ... I hadn't watered the garden in a few days and my partner and I NEVER wash our cars or clean around the outside of the house with water and I usually use a watering can! I know I need to start collecting our dishwashing water to use now that I have bought an environmentally friendly dishwashing detergent. I'm really suprised at how good that detergent is! I bought a bottle a few months ago and I was so suprised how long it lasted and how little I needed to use. The next detergent we bought was a Palmolive one and that went so quickly! I was worried about using that on my garden but will definately be doing it now that we've got this eco-detergent.
The lettuce seedlings that I planted got fried! I watered them every day and they looked beyond redemption and I almost wrote them off. I thought I would give the Seasol I had bought and never used a try. I think I put twice the amount I needed though ... 2 capfuls to 9L of water .... oops! But the next time I watered the plants I noticed that my lettuce was definately recovering! I watered the lettuce, my herbs and my orange tree with it. I think the orange needs a different kind of feed though ... it's growth progress isn't what I expected but at least it'st still alive! There are new little green shoots coming out from under where I assume the graft took place. Not sure what I should do with them ... pull them off or let them go. New growth is new growth! It would pain me to cut them off.

My poor little orange tree

I really need to get a border for around my garden ... I think it needs something solid like wood so I can heap the mulch up after I get it but W wants to put some green wire edging up ... grrr ... oh well - I'm guessing I'll get my wish sooner or later.

The garden I scratched out from the weeds!



This mango tree was planted by the tenants before we bought the place,
you can see the passionfruit vine going across and over the fence

Thyme and parsley

One of my recovering lettuce seedlings

One of the first passionfruits

Cucumber seedlings?



I spilled some seeds near the edge of the garden edging and I thought I might as well leave them cause the dirt was wet - I didn't even cover them with dirt! These popped up and I think they are cucumber! Can't wait to see how they grow ... if they end up looking like weeds out they will come!

No comments: