Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Strawberries....and other winter goodies!

Flowers ... there are actually flowers in my strawberry plant!! And today I looked and there was a fruit! Oh my god ... I get to eat some strawberries (fingers crossed) from my own garden! No pics cause I only had time to dart out and water, pull one or two weeds and plant some sprouting carrot tops and an onion. It seems like forever since I've been out there and it shows ... weeds weeds everywhere. But, the vegies seem to be doing ok on their own. Cabbage is going well, onions look to be as well and spinach - that's ready to pick! The choko vine is starting to creep along the ground so I guess I should put some kind of lattice or bamboo structure up. I'm not sure what to do with it because I'm not a huge choko fan. Guess I can spread them around the family.

Been so sick with the flu but the fact that I actually want to get outside in the half hour of sunlight left in the day by the time I make it home means I'm finally feeling better. About a week ago I got given a length of sugar cane that has some buds on it so I cut the bottom half off and planted it at the back of the vegie patch. Will see what happens with that ... even if I never use the cane it will make great mulch when I cut it back (I hope).

My dear husband broke off my poor little frangipani survivor that I appropriated from our last rental place ... it almost died in the pot I put it in waiting to be transplanted. I guess not watering it might have been the culprit. It finally got planted and I got a little growth before winter set in and the leaves dropped off ... then he kicked it on his way to put the bin out and it snapped. :( I was annoyed but I put the broken piece back into the ground ... hopefully this one takes as well.

2 comments:

Lanie said...

Know what you mean about the chokos. The vine is a great, rampant vine though. It covers vast areas in a short time and is pretty easy to trim back. I've acquired a taste for chokos tho - choko relish is good, and they are good stir fried. Here is the link where I found my choko recipes:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2001/archives/2001_archives?p=1320

Have the strawberry flowers turned into strawberries yet???
Cheers
Lanie

Miz_M said...

Yes! I think the pot might be too small for it though ... I've so far eaten only 6 berries ... they seem to be staggered in growth. I didn't think anyone read my little blog so I stopped writing! LOL